Saturday, November 22, 2014

Guilty Pleasures of an ex-hardcore gamer

Recently I've been enjoying causal games. I play them for easily two hours or more a day now. I prefer playing them on my kindle, but there are some I have to use my iPad for. It pains me to enjoy these games because I used to consider myself a hardcore gamer. It is even possible to be a hardcore gamer of causal games?

While some of these games can entertain me for hours, others feel incomplete. The promise of gameplay is there. But it's like the developers did "just enough" to be able to call it a game and put it up. Most of these games fall in the realm of "play for about 5-10 minutes, then wait a full hour or until you can do something again". Other games are just complete rip-offs of the already successful games.

The quality for each game is vastly different too. From the occasional hiccup in a game that cause it to crash or application destroying bugs that can only be fixed by completely reinstalling the application, and thus losing your data (which is totally not cool since nearly all the games have micro transactions and you can lose any of those purchases if the transaction was of the ones where you buy in-game currency and the game isn't played or saved on a server). I've had to stop playing more than one game on account of these kinds of problems, which saddens me because at least one of the games this has happened to me with I really enjoyed.

Anyway, here is a list of casual games I currently enjoy playing:

Family Guy: The Quest For Stuff, Puzzles and Dragons, AdventureQuest: Battle Gems, The Secret Society - Hidden Mystery, Book Of Heroes (some parts of it count as a MMO, but the energy system pretty much makes this a casual game), Theme Park, Minion Rush, Spider-Man Unlimited, Jurassic Park Builder, Honorbound, and Plants vs Zombies 2.

Wow, that's quite a list. No wonder I spend so much time playing on my Kindle/iPad. That doesn't include the pinball games I play or all the tiny games I play on these devices (hidden object games, digital game books, etc.).

Perhaps I am a hardcore causal gamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment